Wednesday 11 March 2015

Little Rag Doll.

No not the song what I've been making.
I have bought rag dolls for all of our great nieces 1st birthday and for friends children too.
Every time I bought one I thought I would like to have a go at making one, so this year with doing a bit of sewing I decided I would give it a go for Myla's 1st Birthday on 1st March

I searched Google images to find one I liked - there are some weird looking ones around! - and found one with a pattern that I could buy on line. I then received an e-mail with PDF file and could print it on A4 paper, ideal!

The site is http://www.raggydolls.com/

I chose to make 2 at the same time, because I thought if it turns out OK I won't want to give it away LOL. I had to buy some material on line and the patterned cotton from the stall in Stockton's indoor market.

I followed the pattern and started with the doll's body, as much as I was wanting to make the clothes first! I did enjoy making them and the hand sewing, particularly at 3am when I was trying to distract the pain of toothache!


The next step was the hair and face.
I certainly worked out a better way to measure, cut and stitch the wool on the second one. As the saying goes practise makes perfect!

The eyes are felt and try as I did I couldn't cut exactly the same shape so I used a letter "O" sizzix die - perfect! It was strange seeing the doll come to life with the eyes, mouth and nose in place - it's own little character. A little bit of pink chalk/blusher and highlight in the eye was the finishing touch.


Finished off with her dress, drawers, apron, bow for her hair and a flower & teddy.
Myla's is the one on the left and mine "Molly" the one on the right.


I ordered some labels and stitched one to her body.



I have been promised a photo of Myla with it, which I will share when I get it and I will do a scrapbook page about them too.
I have started another and have been asked by people if I can make them one - I haven't promised but will see what I can do!


No comments:

Post a Comment